My New Gelli Plate
My Gelli Plate arrived in the mail over the weekend, and this morning I was able to try it out for a little bit. Here are the results of my first experiments. I had a blast and am so glad I decided to order it. It’s even easier than I had imagined, and the possibilities are literally endless. Cleanup is a breeze too. I’ll be heading out to the studio in the early mornings for a while, just to see what ideas I can come up with. I tried a few with stencils, but I tend to enjoy more organic shapes.
The top two were done using string and rubber bands to mask the color.
The third one was made with the use of stencils.
The fourth one was made by placing a coiled piece of yarn on top of the blue color, then another print was pulled after painting gestural strokes in black onto the plate.
The bottom two are the same image:
The first one was a rollup in black, with yarn and rubber bands masking the color. Then it was printed again with some random squiggles of red.
Then the last one was the ghost that resulted after removing the yarn and rubber bands. I think that one is my favorite.
Here is the link to a more detailed tutorial on how to use the Gelli Plate. It is every bit as easy as shown in this video. If you want to invest a few dollars in hours of fun, this will definitely fill the bill.